Friday, July 22, 2016

Summertime love is sweeter with...frozen mango?


Welcome to summertime in the USA. I don’t know about you, but from where I sit, it’s hot even in the shade at 9 am.
That’s why my new breakfast obsession involves frozen fruit.
First off, I love fruit. I try to eat it every day, not only because fruit is like nature’s candy, but also because it’s so good for you—All those vitamins and nutrients and phytochemicals that help prevent cancer.

If you’re like me and you love fruit, then you know how easy it is to go crazy purchasing fresh fruit at the grocery, only to have a whole bunch of it go bad before you get a chance to eat it. Worse is the dreaded bait-and-switch; you know those blackberries or raspberries you bought that looked ever-so-tasty—then you bit into one and got a mouth-full of T.A.R.T.? 

Well, I found such a simple and affordable way to eat lots and lots of delicious, perfectly ripe fruit. It’s always ripe and I never run out and it doesn’t go bad. Ha! Success!

Here’s my “recipe.” 

Buy a jumbo bag of frozen mango, and a jumbo bag of frozen mixed berries. In the morning after you wake, before you start the coffee and feed the dogs, pull out your blender and scoop a cup full of each fruit into it. Blend. Eat with spoon. Yum! For added protein, you can add one of the nut-milks (Coconut, Almond, Hemp).

Rinse, dry, repeat.

Speaking of fruit, in my contemporary romance LOVER'S LEAP (which happens to be a MAGGIES finalist in the 2016 Georgia Romance Writers contest for published authors!! Woot woot!!) my hero and heroine often find themselves sharing a delicious blend of fruits after enjoying…ahem…some extracurricular activity. Here’s a brief excerpt: 



Candace stood beside Logan at the kitchen island,
washing and cutting fresh strawberries while he sliced a
mango. They both wore their bathrobes and nothing
else, having come straight from the shower where
they’d worked up an appetite making love yet again.

Logan had turned on the stereo and the soft sounds
of jazz filled the air. It all felt very…domestic. And
perfect. By rights, Candace should be scared. She
should be building a wall to barricade her heart against
Logan’s barrage of tenderness, charm, and sex appeal.

But that was the old her.

Wonder what’s going through that pretty head of
yours,” Logan said, cutting into her thoughts.

Startled, Candace nearly nipped her thumb with the
knife.

“Hey, be careful there, will you? I like your
fingers.”

“I like them, too.” She wiggled them in front of her
face to make sure she hadn’t nicked herself. “I’d say
that’s enough strawberries, wouldn’t you?” Candace
effectively sidestepped Logan’s comment about her
train of thought. She rinsed the paring knife in the
island sink and popped a strawberry into her mouth.

“Why don’t you sit down? I’ll finish this.” Logan
scraped the mango slices into a bowl and washed the
cutting board as Candace moved to sit at the island
counter. “We need to talk,” Logan said, not meeting
Candace’s eyes.

Here it came. The thanks for a good time, now I
have to go speech. She could take it.



Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, and don't forget to enter the Summertime Treats and Reads giveaway for a chance to win the big prize--a brand new Kindle Fire!:-)

24 comments:

  1. Your recipe sounds yummy and so does the excerpt! Best of luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your frozen fruit ambitions! Good luck with LOVER'S LEAP in the MAGGIES. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anni. I am so gratified to have finaled in the Maggies. There's nothing like getting the nod from your peers and people in the business.

      Delete
  3. Mmmm, that sounds delicious, Kimberly. Great excerpt too - leave us on a 'cliffhanger' why don't you? LOL. Wishing you many sales with this it sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Hywela! Glad you liked the recipe and the excerpt!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the great idea for breakfast. You book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay it is sooo delicious. It is like nature's perfect concoction. I'm addicted. :-)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your Maggie final! Very impressive. Enjoyed the excerpt...ahem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mangos and wild berries sound perfect this hot summer! I'm a frozen fruit smoothie fan too; I always throw in a frozen black banana, chopped and barely peeled, and a little flax seed for good measure. Haven't yet had the sensual experience you describe in your excerpt... :) Congratulations again on making it to the finals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nell! Good idea w the frozen banana. I freeze mine for banana bread but I can't remember the last time I actually made some!

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed your excerpt and the breakfast idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked the excerpt. I swear by my fruit concoction!

      Delete
  8. Hello Kimberly, thank you for the great fruit ideas! Happy Summer ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a great kale juice recipe but that one requires more clean up!! Happy summer to you :)

      Delete
  9. Yay for frozen mango! I sometimes add a little plain yogurt in my fruit smoothie. Nice way to get my protein and keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mango is the best :) I love yogurt but actually thanks to a book called the Raw Food a Detox Diet I try not to mix my fruit with anything but fruits thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  10. Love the excerpt, it certainly left me hungry for more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, Kimberly. I love yummy, healthy ideas. Can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to read my post, Casi! You'll love that frozen fruit concoction. :-)

      Delete
  12. Too bad I'm allergic to mangoes! I'll have to try another fruit!

    ReplyDelete